key file permissions and other questions

From: Max Flodén <max.floden_at_xstech.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:05:46 +0100

Hi,

I have a few newbie (as in new to opendkim, postfix and debian) questions.
I have installed opendkim pretty much using this guide http://syslog.tv/2010/01/11/dkim-on-debian-with-postfix/ but added KeyTable and SigningTable etc.

1. It took me a long time to finally get opendkim to work until I found that the problem was that opendkim could not read the key file default.private. It was chmod 600 but when I changed to chmod 644 it started working. However I am a bit concered about security doing this as this means the private key is readable for all with system access, right?
(I wrote about this a little more in detail here: http://blog.tjitjing.com/index.php/2012/02/opendkim-error-loading-key-default-_domainkey-mydomain-com.html )

2. I read somewhere (on this list I think, could not find it now) that domain name is not case sensitive when matching against the SigningTable but in my case this does not seem true. Is there a way I can get my SigningTable to match domain in a case insensitive manner?
Eg. If I put "mydomain.com" in SigningTable then email from "info_at_MyDomain.com" will result in "no signing table match", but if I change it to "MyDomain.com" in SigningTable it will work.

3. I see that the latest version of opendkim is 2.4.3 and 2.5 soon to be released. However the version I get when doing "apt-get install opendkim" in Debian is version 2.0.1.
How does this process work, how do I get the latest version on Debian?

Thanks/Max