Re: Enabling Statistics

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:42:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Rolf E. Sonneveld wrote:
> When it has run without problems for a day, I'll start sending
> statistics to you (albeit anonymized).

Any data would be welcome, thanks!

> One comment or suggestion about statistics: as far as I understand, the
> statistics module works for the verifier side of opendkim, correct?

Yes.

> Would there be any use to have the ability to use it from within the
> signing module in opendkim? E.g. to gather information about what type
> of headers are present in a mail when it gets signed, whether there are
> 0, 1, 2 or more DKIM-signatures already present, what type of
> canonicalization is being used.

Possibly, yes. Some of the data currently collected by the verifying side
are less interesting because they're constant (i.e. they're part of your
configuration), and arguably you're signing mail from a much more
constrained space than what you're verifying. That is, most of the mail
you sign will look substantially the same in terms of existing header
fields and the like.

But that doesn't mean the data aren't useful.

I think dealing with recording data about inbound mail will be enough of
an undertaking to have ready for v2.2.0 that this will probably be work
done after that's out and operating. We should definitely take a closer
look at it though.