Re: Building with DB on CentOS/RHEL

From: Scott Kitterman <ietf-dkim_at_kitterman.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 00:57:31 -0400

<msk_at_blackops.org>wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2013, Steve Jenkins wrote:
> >> # grep memcached_return_t /usr/include/libmemcached/*
> >>
> >> There's a memcached_constants.h, but memcached_return_t is nowhere to be
> >
> >> found in it:
> > Ah, then probably we have a libmemcached versioning problem. The build
> > I've been using is 0.48 but it looks like the one you're using is a fair
> > bit older. Perhaps I need to version-limit the check in configure.ac.
> > I'll propose a patch later today.
>
> The default (EPEL) repos have libmemcached-0.31-1.1 as the version
> available for both EL5 and EL6, so that's what it would have to
> successfully build with.

I just spent some time trolling back through the VCS history. 0.36 (released
January 2010) is the first version to have memcached_return_t. Before that it
was called memcached_return. Other than the name change, the typedef is
unchanged, so I wonder if changing memcached_return_t to memcached_return
would be enough to get it to build with the older version. The commit message
for the commit that changed it is "Style cleanup".

In any case, I think 0.36 ought to be the minimum supported version in the
configure check.

Scott K