RE: Another idea of a stat to track

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:29:40 -0700

Now that is a good idea!

> The program takes a "-x" option for excluding some domains, e.g. if
> you invoke it with "-x opendkim.org mipassoc.org", then the related
> stanzas won't be anonymized. Note that no hashing is done unless a
> prefix is given. The prog can also output simple summaries of its
> input, for people who has not yet a MySQL db in place (like me.)

I'm pondering the way anonymizing is done. At the moment it's either done or not done when the stats are recorded, and then those records are sent as-is. Perhaps the better way is to record all stats in the clear, and then have an anonymizing tool that's used to submit the information. That way you could import your own copy of the clear data for whatever analysis you want to do, and then send us the anonymized data.

And I like your idea of a controlled list of exceptions.

I'm teetering on not doing this until 2.3.0 though just because this would mean more big code changes during Beta, which are supposed to be minimized. Maybe I'll come up with a diff and see how big it is before making that decision.

> Using the h file above may ease further revisions, e.g. adding fields
> to the stats --this thread's original subject. When it will be
> included by opendkim-impotstats.c, if ever, then it will be probably
> convenient that the OpenDKIM project maintains it, and that it gets
> installed along with other library files. For the time being, a copy
> of it might live in the contrib directory, perhaps; ditto for its C
> companion.

I presume this email grants us license to include it as our own then? :-)

-MSK