Re: Another idea of a stat to track

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 22:24:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Is this intended to be used by us as end users to try and track these
> trends on our own systems? Or is it more your intention to use it on
> aggregated data from multiple sources? To date I have not attempted to
> store or track any of the stats that the milter is amassing, I'm just
> lobbing it all in your direction.

The tools exist to do it both ways. At the moment I think we're
collecting non-domain-specific data for the DKIM working group at the
IETF, which is why getting lots of feeds and lots of data are particularly
important, and otherwise just experimenting with what's possible.

> Which leads me to a second question. I have the dev system set to not
> anonymize the data as it writes it to the stats file. Correspondingly,
> it submits this raw data to you, and the stats page shows all domains
> non-anonymized. Is it going to stay this way after we come out of beta?
> I'm wondering if it would be possible to anonymize it as it's being
> displayed with a simple tertiary command in the script that generates
> the html. Or am I worried about nothing?

The revised schema sets a bit if the incoming data were anonymized. The
domains you see are selected from the non-anonymized submissions only.
If you switch your feed to obscure domain names, we will still get your
non-domain data (e.g. what signature properties you observed) and can use
that for the DKIM signature property reports. Your data just won't be
used in those reports that do show real domain names.