Re: Another idea of a stat to track

From: Graham Murray <graham_at_gmurray.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 06:31:02 +0100

Todd Lyons <tlyons_at_ivenue.com> writes:

> Which leads me to a second question. I have the dev system set to not
> anonymize the data as it writes it to the stats file.
> Correspondingly, it submits this raw data to you, and the stats page
> shows all domains non-anonymized. Is it going to stay this way after
> we come out of beta? I'm wondering if it would be possible to
> anonymize it as it's being displayed with a simple tertiary command in
> the script that generates the html. Or am I worried about nothing?

You are not the only one submitting raw, non-anonymized, data. As the
stats aggregate data for each seen and signing domain[1], I do not think
that there is anything to worry about - all it means if a domain shows
in the stats is that at least one of the reporters has received mail
from that domain.

Or the stats could do the opposite and calculate the hash for all
submitted anonymized domains and aggregate the counts with any
submissions which anonymized that domain and the html show the
non-anonymized together with the totals for all reporters, both those
who anonymize and those who don't.

[1] The signing domain is always sent raw, it is never anonymized.