Re: pkg-config

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:41:45 +1100

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 05:37:00 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> I haven't finished reviewing the diffs but:

I haven't finished writing them :-). By being forced to fork opendkim and
manage my own version controlled repository I've got it to a pretty portable
state with an audible trail of changes and history. I couldn't of achieved
this using CVS.

> I like the path you're on here, and the refactoring of the FEATURE() stuff
> is great too. Using pkg-config if it's there but doing something
> equivalent if not is definitely the way we should go in my opinion.

the simple act of doing
PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LIBCRYPTO]
PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LIBTRE]

provides an equivalent in the environment. from ./confiugre --help:
  LIBCRYPTO_CFLAGS
              C compiler flags for LIBCRYPTO, overriding pkg-config
  LIBCRYPTO_LIBS
              linker flags for LIBCRYPTO, overriding pkg-config
  LIBTRE_CFLAGS
              C compiler flags for LIBTRE, overriding pkg-config
  LIBTRE_LIBS linker flags for LIBTRE, overriding pkg-config

So setting the _LIBS to -L /usr/to/lib -llib and _CFLAGS to -I
/usr/to/include/file generates the equivalent without a compile time
dependency on pkg-config.

> I haven't tried it yet on my own system to see if I get the "make dist"
> error, but I'll try to do that later today.

from the info and testing I did I couldn't see an error. I'm happy to help
diagnose this though.