[opendkim:bugs] #222 Enhance config file element handling for unrecognized tags/parameters (fwd)

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

In this case the new version dropped a major feature (ADSP), and the
result of this change would be that ADSP configuration file items would be
logged but ignored. Someone not checking logs and relying on ADSP to be
there might find out much later that a feature she was anticipating had
actually been removed. Personally I would rather deal with the failure
and know the current state of things than have important features quietly
go missing on me. Do others have an opinion here?

I would suggest that the package maintainer should've fixed the
configuration rather than simply replacing the binary, which is what
appears to have happened.

We would at least want to reject configurations for things that are
completely unknown, but have a period during we do log-but-continue for
settings that have been removed.

Any other suggestions?

-MSK