Re: Strict canonicalization considered harmful

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:41:02 +0100

On Tue 09/Dec/2014 22:10:14 +0100 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>
>> Would you try the following for me, please?
>> From: "Display phrase of 49, so total line length is 76" <msk_at_blackops.org>
>
> Done, and:
>
> Authentication System: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
> Result: DKIM signature confirmed GOOD
> Reporting host: services.sendmail.com
> More information: http://dkim.org/
> Sendmail milter: http://opendkim.org/
>
>> I'd be baffled if testing with a long From: field succeeds to. But I have no
>> idea why a length of 76 would break anything.
>
> Something is improperly wrapping long header fields, perhaps?

Yes, but what does that? Are you sure you had simple c14n? It's enough to
check that the From: field came back with no added whitespace. For example,
I paste below the header returned from medusa. You can see the test passed,
because I have reverted to relaxed c14n, but the From: is munged, so it would
not have passed if c14n had been simple --the subject of this thread.

Ale