Re: Strict canonicalization considered harmful

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:10:14 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> Certain versions of sendmail consume the leading space in a way transparent
>> to milter, so it's there in the transported version but absent in what's
>> passed to the filter. opendkim attempts to determine if the MTA it's talking
>> to has the capability not to do that, but not all versions do. The MTA flag
>> of interest is SMFIP_HDR_LEADSPC.
>
> I don't think it's that, as it at most inserts one space.

The actual problem is the loss of a space, but you're saying below that
lots of recent versions were tried so I'll skip that bit.

> Would you try the following for me, please?
> From: "Display phrase of 49, so total line length is 76" <msk_at_blackops.org>

Done, and:

Authentication System: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
    Result: DKIM signature confirmed GOOD
    Reporting host: services.sendmail.com
    More information: http://dkim.org/
    Sendmail milter: http://opendkim.org/

> I'd be baffled if testing with a long From: field succeeds to. But I
> have no idea why a length of 76 would break anything.

Something is improperly wrapping long header fields, perhaps?

-MSK