Re: PHP updates (was Re: repute.php mysql->mysqli)

From: Christian Rößner <cr_at_sys4.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:15:12 +0200

> Yes, it will be out there for quite some time as RHEL/CentOS 5, which
> is supported until 2017 comes with php-5.2.x, and RHEL/CentOS 6, which
> is supported until 2020 comes with php-5.3.x. Both have means of
> installing newer versions, but that is a purely out-of-distro upgrade
> path, not the norm at all.

The mysqli driver exists since php 5.0, PDO since 5.1. And the old mysql stuff exists since php 2.0 (I can not find the web page again, where all three implementations where shown together…). So if there does not exist any php version out there lower than version 5.0, it might be okay to use mysqli, right? :)

Here is some link I just found:

http://www.pontikis.net/blog/how-to-use-php-improved-mysqli-extension-and-why-you-should

It also seems that I have to tweak error handling for mysqli. I will modify the repute.php to refelect the examples from exactly this link. And I will send it to you later.

Kind regards

Christian

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Jul 2014, Christian R??ner wrote:
>>>
>>> I have rewritten mysql stuff in repute.php, because ext/mysql is
>>> deprecated as of php-5.5
>>>
>>> As I am not that great PHP programmer, please review it and if it is okay,
>>> feel free to include it.
>>

>> Looks OK to me.
>>
>> Do people think we need to keep both versions for a while somehow? I
>> imagine pre-5.5 PHP is going to be out there for quite some time.
>>
>> -MSK
>>

> --
> The total budget at all receivers for solving senders' problems is $0.
> If you want them to accept your mail and manage it the way you want,
> send it the way the spec says to. --John Levine

-Christian Rößner

--
[*] sys4 AG
http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64