RE: "opendkim dead but subsys locked" yet there are opendkim processes

From: Tracy Wise <tracywise_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:17:19 +0000

> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:21:47 -0800
> From: msk_at_blackops.org
> To: tracywise_at_hotmail.com
> CC: opendkim-users_at_lists.opendkim.org
> Subject: RE: "opendkim dead but subsys locked" yet there are opendkim processes
>
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Tracy Wise wrote:
> > I do still see a "opendkim dead but subsys locked" message if I do
> > "service opendkim status" (even after restarting opendkim and postfix,
> > removing the opendkim lock file, etc.). But it seems to be working, so
> > I guess that's not something to worry about.
>
> It's less critical, to be sure, but it does mean there's something amiss
> with the way the subsys stuff is working on your system. If there's
> something in the shell script that you need to fix to get it working,
> please let us know so we can look at merging the fix into the release.
>
> -MSK

Okay I'll let you know if I find a fix for that.

My system is very common, it's CentOS 6.3.  However, with our server provider it comes pre-installed with Plesk, and Plesk does change a lot of things (e.g., paths), so maybe that's why.  I'll let you know if I find a fix.

Server load is at zero most of the time but occasionally there's a bit of load from "init" (that's the "command" with the most CPU usage listed in the "top" output).  Could that be opendkim trying to start (since it thinks it's dead), or is that something else on my system?  (User listed in the "top" output for "init" is simply root, not opendkim.)  In opendkim.conf it is set for AutoRestart but the AutoRestartRate is just 10/1h.