RE: "opendkim dead but subsys locked" yet there are opendkim processes

From: Tracy Wise <tracywise_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:02:19 +0000

> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:20:28 -0800
> From: msk_at_blackops.org
> To: tracywise_at_hotmail.com
> Subject: RE: "opendkim dead but subsys locked" yet there are opendkim processes
>
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Tracy Wise wrote:
> > Thanks for your help. In response to your question, I get all of this
> > output in the maillog for each attempt to send one test mail from a PHP
> > script:
> >
> > Jan 17 21:12:05 webcamchurch postfix/pickup[30558]: 071C120697: uid=502
> > from=<help_at_webcamchurch.com>
> > [...]
>
> It's odd that there's no opendkim logging in there whatsoever. It looks a
> lot like postfix is unable to communicate with the opendkim that is
> running. This could be a local packet filter problem.
>
> Can you do:
>
> $ telnet localhost 8891
>
> ...with opendkim running and get a connection, or does it time out?

Hi Murray, thanks.  Actually I sent an email after this one explaining that I had simply forgotten to set the Syslog option back to Yes in opendkim.conf, duh!   As soon as I did that, I got the very helpful message from opendkim in the log informing me that it couldn't access the key(s) because of file/directory permissions, which I was able to easily correct.

Good software!

Thanks again.