Re: Planning for 2.8.0

From: Scott Kitterman <scott_at_kitterman.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 02:40:54 -0500

On Sunday, January 06, 2013 05:44:59 PM Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> With the release of 2.7.4, I'm starting to plan for what will go into
> 2.8.0. I've taken a quick pass through the Bugs and Feature Request
> trackers and promoted to priority 6 everything at which I'd like to take a
> run in this release. There's no guarantee that all of them will make it
> in, however.
>
> If you'd like to make an argument for any that didn't make the cut, please
> let me know. If you have any ideas you want to see considered, please add
> them to the appropriate tracker.
>
> Also, if anyone has something on the list into which they can contribtue
> some development time, it would be really appreciated. I'm a busy guy
> lately, and I could use a hand with this one.
>
> Ideally I would like to release this on or before February 18, but that
> doesn't leave a lot of time for development and a reasonable beta period.
> For now, let's see what I/we can accomplish in the next couple of weeks,
> and we'll see after that whether we can hit that deadline.
>
> Thanks,
> -MSK

Here's the list of things I didn't find on your list already:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3599901&group_id=269812&atid=1147701
"insecure key" message confusing

This was discussed on the list, but I didn't find a bug for it.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3599902&group_id=269812&atid=1147704
Test for opensslv.h instead of opensslconf.h for openssl

This will help opendkim build properly with Debian/Ubuntu multiarch - patch
included in the Debian bug that is linked in the SF bug.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3599903&group_id=269812&atid=1147704
Separate out rrdtool functionality from opendkim

Building with --enable-reprrd results in opendkim gaining a huge stack of
required dependencies. It would be nice if reprrd could be split out so that
the functionality could be optionally provided without rebuilding the package.

I did check and see that the other issues I was concerned about are
prioritized for 2.8.

Thanks,

Scott K