Re: SMTP server mode

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah_at_zimbra.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:58:39 -0700

--On Friday, August 17, 2012 10:54 PM +0200 Andreas Schulze
<sca_at_andreasschulze.de> wrote:

>>> There's an open feature request for an SMTP server mode in v2.7.0.
>
> I disagree:
> I run cascades of SMTP Proxy with postfix for many years. It is a pain!
>
> For that reason I switched to content filters implemented as milter.
> Now I can cascade up to 5 milter without any problems.
> No more timeouts, no more unreadable long received header and clean
> logging. No more "received from localhost by localhost"
>
> I only could encourage everyone to try replacing an smtp based content
> filter by a milter. (if postfix or sendmail is the mta)
> From that perspective it makes no sense to me porting a milter to an smtp
> proxy. I see it as a wast of (programmers) time.

The problem I have (currently) with the milter service, is if the milter
service goes down, postfix doesn't queue the mail. The default action is
to reject. Even if I change it to hold, then it requires manual
intervention to pull the mail out of the hold.

With the (E)SMTP service, postfix queues the mail until the service is once
again available. Once it is available, postfix takes care of processing
the queued mail automatically.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount