Re: SMTP server mode

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah_at_zimbra.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:14:52 -0700

--On Monday, August 13, 2012 11:37 AM -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<msk_at_blackops.org> wrote:

> There's an open feature request for an SMTP server mode in v2.7.0.
>
> Quanah, and others interested in this: Can you give me more detail about
> what it needs to do from an SMTP client perspective? For example, which
> SMTP extensions are important to include? How many simultaneous
> connections should it be expected to handle? How resilient does it need
> to be to syntax and other I/O issues?
>
> Building an SMTP server, even one without queueing, is a pretty huge
> task. And this one will need to have an SMTP client as well, attached
> fairly directly to each server instance. I want to spec this out clearly
> so that I don't end up with a needlessly complex implementation that will
> be a chore to maintain down the road.

Hi Murray,

Sorry for the delay in response. I was out on vacation for a few weeks. ;)

On the (E)SMTP side of things, as a client, I would hope actually that Mark
Martinec could provide you more concrete answers -- Basically I would
expect OpenDKIM to be able to behave no differently than Amavis in this
case, which already has this capability for DKIM signing/verification.

<http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html> also has some useful
information. I don't really expect OpenDKIM has to do a whole lot --
Accept the message, sign and/or verify it, and then pass it back to postfix?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff