Re: Connection refused

From: Todd Lyons <tlyons_at_ivenue.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:16:37 -0700

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, justatry <justatry_at_free.fr> wrote:
> and in mail.warn I get this (several times)
>
> opendkim[30622]: OpenDKIM Filter: Unable to bind to port
> inet:8891_at_localhost: Address already in use
> opendkim[30622]: OpenDKIM Filter: Unable to create listening socket on conn
> inet:8891_at_localhost

It means that something else is already listening on that port so the
program that you just started was unable to bind to that port. You
need to figure out what that other program is:
netstat -ltnp
...or
netstat -ltnp | grep opendkim

It will show you the process ID. Let's say it's 1234. You can get
more detail about it:
ps auxww | head -n 1; ps auxwww | grep 1234

And you can get even more info on the process:
lsof -p 1234

But the gist of this is that there is something already listening on
port 8891. The netstat command will show you what it is. If it's
another opendkim process, just kill it and start a new one. If it's
something else, then you need to figure out if you need that process.
If yes (you are using something else on that port), then you need to
tell opendkim to run on a different port and you need to tell sendmail
to listen on that different port.

...Todd
violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding