Re: OpenDKIM isn't signing nor throwing any errors in log

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 07:43:04 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012, Antony wrote:
> I can confirm that yes, Postfix, somehow disregards the setting in its
> main.cf and remains unaware of OpenDKIM
> The test is as simple as setting smtpd_milters & non_smtpd_miltersĀ  to a
> port that is not listening, i.e. inet:127.0.0.1:1234
> After restarting the postfix and trying to send out another email. The
> mail.log shows no sign of communication between Postfix & OpenDKIM; hence,
> no errors of what so ever.

You're telling postfix to talk to a port where nothing's listening, so you
should see errors from postfix and no activity from opendkim (as before,
in the latter case).

I'm not a postfix guy so I wouldn't know how to go about debugging or
fixing this. There's a postfix-users list you can reach through
http://www.postfix.org, though some of that lot can be a bit sharp with
neophytes. Be warned. :-)

> The second thing I did was to verify that the DNS domain key record matches
> up with my private key. The command below shows no error when I supplied the
> right private key (I also did a negative test by supplying wrong private
> key)
> sudo opendkim-testkey -d coudora.com -s main -k
> /etc/opendkim/keys/coudora.com/main

That's good, but it's a separate issue from whether or not postfix and
opendkim are communicating.

> Thus, it all comes back to Postfix. I know this is not a Postfix support
> group, but if anyone has experience on why Postfix is not reading the
> milter settings, I will appreciate it.

There are indeed postfix users on this list, so maybe one of them can
suggest how to figure out what's going on here. Good luck...

-MSK