Re: can't read SMFIC_BODY reply packet header: Success

From: Rolf E. Sonneveld <R.E.Sonneveld_at_sonnection.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:55:30 +0100

Hi, Todd,

On 11/30/11 6:00 PM, Todd Lyons wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Rolf E. Sonneveld
> <R.E.Sonneveld_at_sonnection.nl> wrote:
>>> It must be that he rebuilt the srpm himself because the package
>> Well, then I don't understand why it didn't work and why it works now. The
>> only extra parameter I used during ./configure was --prefix to install
>> opendkim on a different location. Furthermore, I discovered that the system
>> admin (for some reason I don't know) first installed dkim-milter, then later
>> installed (so probably compiled?) opendkim. After that, he removed
>> dkim-milter. So my installation was on a system _without_ dkim-milter, while
>> his installation was on a system _with_ dkim-milter. Don't know whether this
>> could explain these problems?
> Be careful with your terminology.

Well, I am :-)

> dkim-milter is the old software
> that has not been maintained for about 3 years now. opendkim is the
> software that Murray forked from and expanded upon dkim-milter (he was
> the original author there as well).

Yep, I know that.

> I suspect you meant opendkim :-)

No, I mean: dkim-milter. So to repeat the steps that were taken:

 1. Some time ago the sysadmin first installed dkim-milter (for some reason)
 2. Then later on, he installed opendkim 2.4.2 on the same system
 3. Some time later he removed dkim-milter
 4. Some time later, when I first logged in on the system, I did some
    testing with the combination of Postfix 2.6.6 - opendkim 2.4.2, with
    the "can't read SMFIC_BODY reply packet header: Success" problem as
    a result
 5. Then, yesterday, I first installed the latest version of Postfix
    (2.8.7). Testing Postfix 2.8.7 - opendkim 2.4.2: still the same problem
 6. Then I installed opendkim 2.4.2 from scratch again with
    --enable-debug and --prefix
 7. Again testing: now it works!
 8. Then: remove the newly installed (with debug) opendkim and
    re-installed it from scratch without the --enable-debug.
 9. Again testing: it still works.

So to repeat what I wrote:

> So my installation was on a system _without_ dkim-milter, while
> his installation was on a system _with_ dkim-milter.

I should have written: 'So my installation of OpenDKIM 2.4.2 was on a
system where dkim-milter was no longer installed, while his (the
sysadmin's) installation of OpenDKIM 2.4.2 was on a system where
dkim-milter was still present.

> At any rate, it really sounds like the admin built it from source but
> something botched with the openssl detection. Or built it on some
> other system with one set of libs and then copied it over to your
> system which had slightly different libs (though ABI is not supposed
> to change, so it would have given a shared library loader error...in
> theory).

I've had no chance to ask the sysadmin, I just got his mail address from
my customer and definitely will ask as soon as I can.

Thanks,
/rolf