Re: can't read SMFIC_BODY reply packet header: Success

From: Rolf E. Sonneveld <R.E.Sonneveld_at_sonnection.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:37:42 +0100

Hi, Murray,

On 11/29/11 3:51 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, Rolf E. Sonneveld wrote:
>> In the 'screen' display I got neither a 'Segfault' nor a 'Segfault
>> (core dumped)'. Instead, all I saw was:
>>
>> opendkim: dkim.c:6482: dkim_body: Assertion `dkim != ((void *)0)'
>> failed.
>
> What version of opendkim is this? If I know that, I can get the
> source for that version and match up with the assertion. As of the
> current code, line 6482 of libopendkim/dkim.c isn't this assertion check.
>
> But this is a useful first step at any rate.
>
>> I used gdb from within another window on the same system. Not sure
>> whether this makes any difference from using it from within the
>> screen display?
>
> Nope, should be the same thing.
>
>> #3 0x00007f3d31d82cdf in dkim_body (dkim=<value optimized out>,
>> buf=<value optimized out>, buflen=<value optimized out>) at dkim.c:6482
>
> Looks like this was not compiled with "--enable-debug". But we
> already know the first value is 0 (NULL) since that's what tripped the
> assertion.
>
>> #4 0x0000000000409b8c in dkimf_msr_body (ctx=0x17332f0,
>> bodyp=0x7f3d28002840 "test\r\n", bodylen=6) at opendkim.c:4954
>
> This is very strange, because dkimf_msr_body() has never had "ctx" as
> a parameter as far back as I can remember. It looks like gdb is
> reporting the same parameter list here as it is for mlfi_body().
>
>> Does this reveal a possible cause of the problem?
>
> It's a start. Did you get this binary from a packaged RPM or did you
> build it yourself?
>
> If you attach your configuration, the output of "opendkim -V", and a
> sample message that causes the problem, I can try to reproduce it in
> my environment. That might get us closer to a solution.

thanks for your answer and your support.

Output of opendkim -V:

opendkim: OpenDKIM Filter v2.4.2
         Compiled with OpenSSL 1.0.0-fips 29 Mar 2010
         SMFI_VERSION 0x1000001
         libmilter version 1.0.1
         Supported signing algorithms:
                 rsa-sha1
         Supported canonicalization algorithms:
                 relaxed
                 simple
         libopendkim 2.4.2:

I didn't install opendkim on this system myself. So I'm not sure how it
was installed and where it came from. It is possible it was installed
from a repo. When I search for opendkim I get:

# yum list | grep opendkim
libopendkim.i686 2.4.2-5.el6 epel
libopendkim.x86_64 2.4.2-5.el6 epel
libopendkim-devel.i686 2.4.2-5.el6 epel
libopendkim-devel.x86_64 2.4.2-5.el6 epel
opendkim.x86_64 2.4.2-5.el6 epel

The system is running:

# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

I'll send you a copy of the opendkim.conf separately.

As for the message: all I do while testing is (from the command line):

$ mailx -s test myaddress_at_sonnection.nl
.

Not sure what this means for the message as it is handed over to opendkim.

As I use the non_smtpd_milters parameter in Postfix, the mail is then
handled by opendkim.

/rolf