RE: internal error from libopendkim

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:48:11 -0800

Oops, I already replied to this privately. So, sorry, Rolf, for the duplicate.

Are you able to attach a debugger to it to get some other details? Also, can you use "ps" to see what the memory size of the process is?

I'm working on a bug report from another site using libar, as you are; in his case, a deadlock was reported.

I'm also running it in my home environment hoping to see it reproduced, but so far I haven't managed to see it. That could be because I don't get enough volume.

I'm reviewing the code for libar/ar.c right now and although there are a few minor issues I've found, none of them explain the conditions being reported.

If you are up to the debugger task, I'd love to see a breakpoint set on ar_addquery() followed by "next"ing through that function to see where it's failing. Then I can provide some additional commands to dig deeper.

The ar_addquery() function fails in the way described for any of several reasons, from invalid arguments (e.g. a negative timeout value or an impossible query string) to a malloc() failure. It can also fail if the resolver has given up talking to the nameserver because of a complete shutdown in communication (e.g. the nameservers have all gone away).