***SPAM***] Re: [opendkim:bugs] #189 --disable-rpath does not disable rpath on CentOS 6.5 x86_64

From: Patrick Laimbock <patrick_at_laimbock.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 13:54:30 +0100

Hi Murray,

On 08-02-14 00:58, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> I need some further suggestions to make progress on this.

I dug into this and think I found a way to fix it. Disclaimer: I am not
an autotools expert so use at own risk.

Steps used on opendkim-2.9.1.Beta3:

1) apply the opendkim-libtool.patch (attached & will also be on #189)

This patches configure.ac:

-AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([serial-tests])
+#AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([serial-tests])
+AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([build-config.h])

AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

+AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
+AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

The AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE change is required because otherwise step 3 fails.
Afaict it's because serial-tests is nowhere defined/unknown.

Adding AC_PROG_LIBTOOL/AM_PROG_LIBTOOL activates the inclusion of
libtool magic.

2) remove configure and aclocal.m4

rm -v configure
rm -v aclocal.m4

3) regenerate the whole auto* bunch

libtoolize -v -c -f -i
aclocal -I m4 --force --verbose
autoheader -v -f
automake -v -a -c -f
autoreconf -v -f -i

4) run configure twice

./configure

You should see the libtool not found error again which you mentioned
before. But once configure has completed you should see a locally
generated libtool :) So now run configure again:

./configure --disable-rpath

And you should see this message:
Suppressing -rpath use by libtool

I rebuilt the RPM and rpaths are no longer present with --disable-rapth.

When distributing the tarball the libtool file needs to be included.

One final thing: I noticed that some of the auto* related files were
generated with newer autoconf/automake/libtool stuff than available on
CentOS 6. To prevent possible failure on EL6 please execute step 3 with
autoconf/automake/libtool versions that are compatible with the ones on
CentOS 6:

$ rpm -qa | egrep 'autoconf|automake|libtool' | sort
autoconf-2.63-5.1.el6.noarch
automake-1.11.1-4.el6.noarch
libtool-ltdl-devel-2.2.6-15.5.el6.x86_64
libtool-ltdl-2.2.6-15.5.el6.x86_64
libtool-2.2.6-15.5.el6.x86_64

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,