Re: On-* quarantine fails

From: Claus Assmann <ml+opendkim-dev_at_esmtp.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:09:38 -0700

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> 1) Determine if quarantining is available either through
> mlfi_negotiate() or, in its absence, "#ifdef SMFIF_QUARANTINE" (or
> maybe through autoconf detection on smfi_quarantine()).

If libmilter/MTA doesn't support quarantining, then you
want to detect that as early as possible. If you can
figure it out during "configure", then those quarantine
options should not be available for the config file.

> 2) At runtime, if an On-* setting asks for quarantining and it
> wasn't found to be available in (1) above, return an error.

If you can determine this only at runtime, then you have a problem:
what do you want to do in this case? How do you want to "fail"?
The most flexible way of course would be a "sequential" option

quarantine-OTHER

where OTHER is used if quarantine is not supported (OTHER:
tempfail, reject, ...)
That seems like overkill, but I don't know a good way to
deal with this.

> That way we get automate away a config file option and command line
> flag we probably no longer need. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't understand this part, sorry. The (global) "Quarantine"
option has a different purpose then those for On-*, right?