Re: Fwd: [SCM] opendkim branch, develop, updated. 3fb02de7467854fc70e0a7ebf5fe66357efa260e

From: Scott Kitterman <ietf-dkim_at_kitterman.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 10:23:54 -0500

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk_at_blackops.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2013, Daniel Black wrote:
>> Reversed the meaning of -l - So now previous scripts that people are
>> using now it does the exact opposite.
>>
>> Not a good compatibility. Recommend adding a new flag for disabling
>> syslog and keeping the -l there with the same meaning for
>compatibility.
>
>I think the idea of having two different command line flags that mean
>the
>exact opposite thing to be even less palatable. If this is an issue,
>I'd
>prefer to remove "-l" completely, or at least ignore it in favour of
>controlling logging via the configuration file.
>
>Also, if "-l" means "do logging" which is now also the default, then
>"-l"
>should at best be ignored now.
>
>This is a major release, so this is the right place to make a backward
>compatibility breaking change.
>
>Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Don't switch the flag to mean the opposite of what it used to.

Since it would (I presume) override what's in the config file, it can still mean what it did before so that someone who didn't normally want logging and had it disabled in the config file could use the flag to temporarily enable it.

Scott K