Re: 2.4.0.Beta2 available

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:21:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 15 May 2011, Steve Jenkins wrote:
> And the fun continues. :) These 5 lines in the init script currently in
> contrib/redhat are causing some issues:
>
> prefix=/usr/local
> exec_prefix=${prefix}
>
> DAEMON=${exec_prefix}/sbin/opendkim
> PID_FILE=${prefix}/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.pid
> CONF_FILE=${prefix}/etc/opendkim.conf
>
> With the script "as is," it creates three problems:
>
> 1) The init script tries to run the binary from
> /usr/local/sbin/opendkim, but the make process installed it in
> /sbin/opendkim.

The current code uses defaults asserted by autoconf when ./configure is
run. There might be ways to do our own overrides, but I'm torn about
whether that's a good idea or not.

Also, "make install" for me tries to put stuff in /usr/local/{s,}bin, not
/{s,}bin. And that's without saying "--prefix" or anything else in my
"./configure" line.

In your contrib/init/redhat/Makefile, what are "prefix", "exec_prefix" and
"sbindir" set to? Mine are:

prefix = /usr/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}
sbindir = ${exec_prefix}/sbin

> 2) It tries to place the opendkim.pid file in
> /usr/local/var/run/opendkim/ (which doesn't exist), when it should be
> in /var/run/opendkim/

You can fix this by specifying --localstatedir=/var to ./configure.

> 3) It looks for the conf file in /usr/local/etc/ instead of /etc/

You can fix this by specifying --sysconfdir=/etc to ./configure.

> I know Daniel's been working on the spec file stuff for RedHat and I
> believe these changes were submitted by him, so perhaps the current
> config is designed to work with that. However, changing the prefix and
> exec_prefix to:
>
> prefix=
> exec_prefix=/usr/local

That's the same as "--prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr/local", so you could try
that as well.

-MSK