Re: DKIM extension tags feature

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 22:45:30 +1000

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:23:09 AM Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Some debate on the IETF DKIM mailing list is occurring around the ability
> to extend DKIM, adding new tags to signatures for various reasons. If you
> have some special arrangement with a verifier someplace, you might find it
> helpful to be able to add details about the message author that can't
> already be expressed through the "i=" tag (which is already supported).

Sounds like one sure way to condem any future standard tags. I looked briefly
on the release and got put of by John's contempt so I'll probably not look
again. I could be missing something.

> I've already crafted a patch to add support for this to libopendkim in the
> next major release (later this year), but now I need to find a good way to
> add this to the filter's configuration. My current plan is to add a new
> data set called "ExtensionTags" that would would be queried the same way
> SigningTable is queried; the filter would expect an even number of values
> returned, in tag-value pairs.

as a data set could it be queried on anything that would suit the majority of
proposed used?

> Does that sound reasonable? Would tying it to the SigningTable make more
> sense? Is there a better idea?

A lua function to add tag-values.