Re: Discontinuing DomainKeys support

From: Todd Lyons <tlyons_at_ivenue.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:04:27 -0800

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com> wrote:
> I’d like to discuss the idea of discontinuing support for DomainKeys.  I
> -          Its status is “historic” while DKIM’s is “proposed standard”
> -          The DK library for which we maintain hooks is buggy and won’t be
> fixed anytime soon, but we get to deal with its problems
> First: Do people concur?

Absolutely. I've already removed all trace of DK from every system I
manage, using only DKIM.

> Second: If so, what sort of time window is appropriate here?  2.4.0
> (whenever it occurs, probably this summer), the first major release after
> October 1, the first major release after 2011, or something else?

IMHO, 6 months notice is a good time frame. If 2.4.0 is scheduled for
summer release, I think that's too quick though. I guess the real
stat needed is how many people are running 2.2.x or 2.3.0 and are
actually using the DK code. If it's a really low number, 3 months
might be sufficient. If it's a significant number, then longer is
better. Further discussion might be necessary to define
"significant".

--
Regards...      Todd
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and