v2.3.0.Beta2 available

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:26:25 -0800 (PST)

Beta2 is now available for download. Changes since Beta1:

o Treat no answers as an NXDOMAIN with respect to retrieving ADSP records.
o Rework the signing trends report (stats)
o Minor library tweak to help track down an issue with PostgreSQL
o When "SyslogSuccess" is active, log the selector and domain used.
o Add "opendkim-atpszone" tool and man page

The PostgreSQL issue so far appears to be a bug in libpq of postgresql and
not an issue with OpenDKIM or OpenDBX. I've reported the bug to them and
I'm considering what to do about this on our side while they deal with it.
(I don't even have a response yet.)

The issue is this: Once opendkim has a stable connection to postgresql, if
someone restarts postgresql, opendkim is not notified that a reconnect
should be attempted and so it reports that the next query failed. The bug
is that the underlying library they provide should give an indication that
the connection is no longer valid and a reconnect is needed, but it isn't
doing that properly, and so we presume the query simply failed for some
other reason (e.g. bad column name or suchlike, which would indicate
user error).

Some interim solutions I'm considering:

1) Have an option that tries a reconnect once on any sort of query failure
(though this will also reconnect for things for which the request was
invalid but the connection is fine, which seems wasteful)

2) Have an option that always throws away a connection after some number
of queries and reconnects (will introduce some delay to whichever message
happens to be the lucky one to hit that number)

3) Have an option that parses the error string returned by the database
and reconnects when certain strings are observed (probably the most
efficient and accurate, but requires us to keep current with specific
database error strings or codes that could change out from under us)

4) Don't do anything, it's not our problem (simplest, but leaves
postgresql users stuck without a solution)

Anyone have a preference or another suggestion?

-MSK