Re: A couple of things we need with the git conversion

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:33:53 +1100

On Saturday 30 October 2010 05:35:51 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Hey Daniel (or anyone with git knowledge),
>
> As I get my feet wet with git I've got a short list of things I know how
> to do with CVS but not yet with git, either because I haven't found what I
> need or I have found multiple ways and don't know what the best way would
> be yet. Maybe you can help me out here:
>
> 1) Our "$Id$" tags have stopped updating. These are useful when
> confirming that a binary was built from the right code set. I'm looking
> into how to go about restoring this, and I found this:
>
> http://progit.org/book/ch7-2.html
>
> I'm fiddling around with what it says but if anyone has simpler
> instructions, I'm all ears.

minor increments in libary versions and executables with --version showing the
right info?

> 2) I'd like to get commit emails going again.

I was looking through this last night. didn't get around to an email but it
seems you found the sf doco too.

Could set hooks.emailprefix= on the server to remove the [SCM] prefix.

3) project methodology

While most of what currently practiced is portable to git it seems according
to these references that the current trunk (or master in git speak) should be
the pristine working release and there should be a different branch for the
intergration of branches (develop in the first ref and next in the second).

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html

Once we get this convention in place I'll get the hydra build farm using this
branch for build testing.

4) cleanup

Can we delete the closed branch? Seems like recommended practice. For
new/current branches merging with a --no-ff will create an approprate version
history.