A couple of things we need with the git conversion

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Daniel (or anyone with git knowledge),

As I get my feet wet with git I've got a short list of things I know how
to do with CVS but not yet with git, either because I haven't found what I
need or I have found multiple ways and don't know what the best way would
be yet. Maybe you can help me out here:

1) Our "$Id$" tags have stopped updating. These are useful when
confirming that a binary was built from the right code set. I'm looking
into how to go about restoring this, and I found this:

http://progit.org/book/ch7-2.html

I'm fiddling around with what it says but if anyone has simpler
instructions, I'm all ears.

2) I'd like to get commit emails going again. I think there's
documentation about how to do this on SourceForge so I'll look into it,
but if anyone has suggestions or caveats, please let me know.

-MSK