zdkimfilter - help + thanks + libopendkim recommendations + statistics

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 17:08:09 +1000

Alessandro,

I've just come across zdkimfilter thanks to one of your users.
http://lists.opendkim.org/archive/opendkim/users/2010/07/0414.html

I've asked a few clarifing questions however I suspect the problem is how they
built zdkimfilter. Suggestions welcome.

As a token of my excitement of another product using libopendkim I've added it
to the gentoo distribution. Thankyou for enabling courier users to participate
in the brave new dkim world. Personally I'm stretched getting a handle on
milter applications so I'm glad you've found and make OpenDKIM useful for the
courier users.
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/mail-filter/zdkimfilter

Current opendkim work is largely focused on improving our milter product. If
you have any suggestions/improvements associated with libopendkim please let
us know.

I've noticed your build goes to a lot of effort regarding libopendkim library
detection. I suspect part of the complexity is the large amount of changes
since libopendkim-1.2.2. Sorry about that - I'm hope its getting better. For a
while we've provided a pkg-config file that you've partually used. I susect a
macro like the following may assist you to gain the required libraries
quicker.
PKG_CHECK_MODULES([OPENDKIM], [opendkim >= 1.2.2], [ ..... ] , [ ....])

We'd like the libopendkim to be as usuable as possible so please let us know
if anything is packaged wrong or there are features/changes you'd like.

Some quick suggestions/questions about your own product while i've been
looking:

http://www.tana.it/sw/zdkimfilter/#install
Is the static recommendation really only related to opendkim-1*?

I recommend you do some form of check to see if opendkim reputation is built
in as part of your configure.ac.

http://www.tana.it/sw/zdkimfilter/#keys
* Next release is going to rename opendkim-genkey.sh to opendkim-genkey.
* The instructions related to keys are going to be in opendkim/README as of
next release (too much was in INSTALL)

Murray's starting a statistics gathering excercise for the IETF. Wondering if
you could code in some statistics gathering that's compatible:
http://lists.opendkim.org/archive/opendkim/users/2010/07/0410.html and the
stats directory of the opendkim.

Cheers,

Daniel Black