Re: stats mkdb.mysql,1.3,1.4

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:45:41 +1000

On Saturday 31 July 2010 19:09:03 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Daniel Black wrote:
> >> "jobid" has to be unique
> >
> > I don't think this is true. A jobid is only unique while active. They can
> > reoccur over the time of the system is my understanding.
>
> Hmm, that might be true of postfix I guess, but it's not true at least of
> sendmail
quite right - was definely just considering postfix.
small doco http://www.postfix.org/postsuper.1.html but basicly its not unique.
http://www.troubleshootingwiki.org/Troubleshooting_Postfix#Message_Queue_ID

> We need to be able to make unique keys somehow so that interesting events
> can be traced back for further analysis.

I'm assuming in this there is a datetime recorded so that should be unique
enough for analysis.

> Combining the hostname and the
> job ID seemed to work, except that now I need to use regexes to exclude
> one host's data. So I'm planning to split the jobid column into a jobid
> and a reporting host ID, and that would be a composite primary key.
>
> What would work to satisfy this requirement on a postfix system?

a jobid is sufficient as an indexed key however the unique constraint on the
database field will cause pain at some stage.

a jobid,datetime (to the second) is probably required for a unique key.