Re: stats mkdb.mysql,1.3,1.4

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 02:09:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Daniel Black wrote:
>> "jobid" has to be unique
>
> I don't think this is true. A jobid is only unique while active. They can
> reoccur over the time of the system is my understanding.

Hmm, that might be true of postfix I guess, but it's not true at least of
sendmail; the latter encodes the date and time as well as the pid plus a
random bit, so they can't really recur.

We need to be able to make unique keys somehow so that interesting events
can be traced back for further analysis. Combining the hostname and the
job ID seemed to work, except that now I need to use regexes to exclude
one host's data. So I'm planning to split the jobid column into a jobid
and a reporting host ID, and that would be a composite primary key.

What would work to satisfy this requirement on a postfix system?