Re: Request for a license change

From: Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan_at_seekline.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:47:30 +0100

On Mi, 2010-03-17 at 12:04 -0700, SM wrote:
[...]
> It may be incompatible to reuse the OpenDKIM code in a GPL
> application and release the entire code under a GPL license.

Of course this is true. But I'm concerned with another problem. As far
as I know a shared or static library licensed as BSD-with-advertisement
(like libopendkim) is not allowed to be linked into an application
licensed as e.g. GPLv2/v3. This is one of the main headaches I have with
this. I would like to release an application using the OpenDKIM library
but I can't because it is actually licensed as GPLv2.

> I am aware that the four-clause BSD license is
> considered as obnoxious. if I am not mistaken, Fedora permits a
> package which has a 4-clause BSD license.

Yes that's right. An application licensed under the 4-clause BSD license
is not forbidding by default but for a library it does not make sense to
be included in the distribution, I would say so. (I'm speaking here for
my self _not_ Fedora!)

> >Since we've been in operation less than a year and dkim-milter still
> >gets the majority of the download traffic, I think it would be
> >unfortunate to give up that license term unless there was some
> >larger benefit to the project by getting into the Fedora RPM base.
>
> An acknowledgement attributes the effort to the people who did the
> work. It can also be a way for the project to be more visible.

I fully understand this and this is partially my attitude too. I want to
get credit for the work I've done. So if a company uses my code and
makes money with it I want to get credit for it. Maybe dual licensing as
GPLv2 + BSD-with-advertising would be an option?

A GPL compatible, more relaxed license my also encourage developer in
joining the project. At least it would encourage me ;-)
>From a personal point of view I always hate dealing with licenses
because they limit me sometimes. Having a few licenses which are
compatible to each other makes life much easier. I hope I could give you
some insights of my point of view and could encourage you to think about
the license. If you have any other questions/thoughts feel free to
contact me.

Regards,
Stefan