Re: stupid question on LDAP support

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:59:36 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Mike Markley wrote:
>> ...and the query gets substituted into the "dn" and "filter" portion, and
>> the listed "attr"s are returned.
>
> Okay, but how do the returned attributes get mapped into something
> useful?

The database you're using is defined such that it specifies what it
expects back from whatever you put there.

Two related examples might help illustrate this better: The KeyTable (and
most other tables we currently have) is a table that expects to provide a
sender (user_at_host or maybe just host) and get back the name of a key to
use for signing. In that case, for LDAP, you would specify an LDAP URI
naming a single attribute. The SigningTable is a table that expects to
provide a key name and get back three things: a domain name, a selector
name, and a private key. In that case your LDAP URI would name the three
attributes your LDAP server uses to store those data, and responses would
be cut apart and used accordingly.