debian libmilter location(s) Re: br-msk-openldap

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:31:09 +1100

On Saturday 06 February 2010 12:27:01 Mike Markley wrote:
> I did, however, find a build issue: configure is setting CC to
> $PTHREAD_CC right before AC_SEARCH_LIBS([smfi_register] ...), so the
> test for libmilter alwaysf ails on my system. The PTHREAD_* variables
> don't seem to be getting populated in any obvious place in configure.ac.
>
> I'm *guessing* that ACX_PTHREAD is what should be populating it,
yes that's right
> but isn't.
> That should really generate a warning, at a minimum, or an error
> if pthreads is stricly required on all operating systems. If not, then
> the FOO=$PTHREAD_FOO assignments should at least be conditional.
the PTHREAD* definations should be set approprately by the ACX_PTHREAD even if
the pthread libraries aren't there or needed.

> I'll see why I'm missing ACX_PTHREAD and then do some tests against
> a real directory...
ok its defined in m4/acx_pthread.m4

on a lenny box:
apt-get install libssl-dev libmilter-dev libldap2-dev buildessential m4
autoconf automake m4

autoreconf
 automake --add-missing
./configure

checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no
checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no
checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no
checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes

checking for milter library and includes... /usr
checking for library containing smfi_register... no
checking for library containing smfi_register... no
configure: error: libmilter not found

So I can replicate the fault.

The debian locations for include files is found at /usr/include/libmilter/*
The assumption is therefore that the libraries are in /usr/lib/libmilter*
which its not. It is actually in /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter*.

its come up before:
http://lists.opendkim.org/archive/opendkim/dev/2009/11/0230.html
http://lists.opendkim.org/archive/opendkim/dev/2009/11/0233.html

if only libmilter had pkg-config or debian has standard install locations :-)
(or probably opendkim has a more throughout search for libmilter)

--
Daniel