Re: debian testing

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:26:50 -0800 (PST)

I completed the merge manually, but a few issues remain.

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Daniel Black wrote:
> The last commit I did regarding AC_SEARCH_LIBS(milter) introduced a little
> configure uglyness:
> "
> checking for milter library and includes... checking for library containing
> smfi_register... -lmilter
> /usr
> "
>
> (but it was needed to make it compile on a lenny machine)

I had to comment this out. The test that it does links against libmilter
which expects to be built multi-threaded, but the configure script runs a
build without the -pthread option to gcc; so even though it actually does
find the symbol you're looking for, the test fails because various pthread
functions couldn't be found, and the script aborts.

I'll see if I can get it working later today but it's commented out for
now. Is there a case where the existing test finds libmilter but that
doesn't contain smfi_register()?

> 2.
>
> Currently we're checking strongly against libtre-0.8.0 by looking for
> tre/tre.h (which is only in the 0.8.0 version. Can we use 0.7.5 as this is the
> stable version on lenny?
> yes - change check in configure.ac and source code to use tre/regex.h
> no - change the error to explictly mention we require the 0.8.0 version

This should be done through build-config.h and the AC_HEADER check macros,
but I'm fine with supporting either version as long as it doesn't make our
code too #ifdef-heavy because of lots of tre API differences.

> 3.
>
> We almost could make this work on the libmilter-8.13 found in debian etch and
> potentially other old stable machines. The only compile time symbol not found
> was mfi_setsymlist to do with macro checking. A configure check for this and
> subsequent disabling of macro features could increase portability.

I've added the #ifdef for SMFIF_SETSYMLIST to opendkim.c, so that should
cover this case.

Other points:

The configure.ac LIB_FEATURE macro still doesn't seem to be working;
build-config.h doesn't contain a QUERY_CACHE definition with or without
--enable-query_cache.

It also defines LIBOPENDKIM_PARSETIME even when I don't request it.
Probably tied to LIB_FFR_FEATURE.

This evening I'll try various other --enable and --with tests to see if
anything else has gone awry.

I really want to start betas ASAP, but not with this many issues
outstanding.