Re: Idea for milter test tool

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:14:56 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:
> This may be an interesting tool, which may be much broader than
> opendkim.

It would be open source of course, so other milter developers could make
use of it (or better yet, contribute to it!).

> But I don't know if you're thinking on something specific to opendkim or
> to be used also by other milters, or to test only performance issues or
> also to be able to do some evaluation.

Ideally it should be able to do all of those. I could equip it to give
timing and resource consumption output, for example.

> There are micro actions : open a new connection with some parameters as
> you specified, send rcpt commands, send a message, close the connection.
> Let's call this one transaction.
>
> And there may be macro, long running, actions. For each transaction...
> do it, and get results.
>
> Micro and macro actions could be read from some file defining a test
> scenari.

Yep, and I think the proposed mechanism can do all of that right now.
Note that "EOM" doesn't imply a "Close", for example; you could go back to
another "MailFrom" without closing the connection.

What other functions would be useful in a simulation apparatus?