DB extensions

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:39:17 -0700

There are two important DB-related things that need to be addressed after the overhaul I did this week. Looking for feedback on one of them.

The first one is the fact that the new DB code does not yet cover the internal/external host lists, since they're not stored as simple linked lists; they are in fact data structures that contain either a hostname or an IP address and mask (as 32-bit quantities). I need to come up with a way to add those as special database types which also be queried, preferably without any changes to the new interface. So that's still to be done before 1.2.0 is ready for real testing.

The one I'm interested in feedback on: Right now it's possible to have certain values like the list of headers to sign or the list of headers to omit be taken from a database. These are sent to the library only when it's set up, i.e. when the program starts. That might mean someone thinks it's possible to set up the list of headers to sign/omit to reference a database, and think the program will adapt to changes to that database, when that's currently the case. I think this should just be documented; in reality, how often are these likely to be changed in-flight or in an automated way? On the other hand, if they really do need to be dynamic, then a mechanism for either signaling a reload request or a periodic check for changes will need to be done. Anyone feel strongly in either direction?