splitting configure.ac into libopendkim/configure.ac?

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:22:37 +1100

I was looking to provide a pkg-config file for libopendkim like libar
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2873827&group_id=269812&atid=1147703).

Because libopendkim is conditionally dependant on a number of libraries it
requires some rework to generate Libs.private field dependant on configuration
options. To do this the libopendkim/Makefile.am LIBADD conditionals need to be
moved to configure.ac.

two options exists here:
1. create an own configure.ac in the libopendkim directory
pros:
* keeps all libopendkim specific configure stuff here.
* maybe useful to distro maintainers who just what to package libopendkim
without too many hacks to prevent building of the whole lot.
cons:
* requires a bit of work to get and keep it in this state.
* may increase the minimum autoconf version (is autoconf 2.13 something we
need to support?)

2. make the top level configure.ac generate a LIBOPENDKIM_LIBADD var and
substitute this.
pro:
bit simpler
cons:
hasn't got the pros of 1.

Both will preserver the ./configure && make at the toplevel.

any preferences?

On infrastructure:
is there any buildbot farms this project could take advantage of?
is there any mailarchives? if not can gmane/mailarchive host them?
is creating a list for cvs worthwhiile? I couldn't get the RSS of code commits
to show anything.