Re: v1.1.0 release pending

From: Mike Markley <mike_at_markley.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 23:03:34 -0700

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 11:01:48AM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Mike Markley wrote:
> >There seems to be a build issue on some Debian platforms, but it may
> >only occur when using --with-unbound. It appears that the build system
> >is losing the linker dependency on libresolv.so when Unbound is enabled.
> >I'm hoping to look into it over the weekend. Not sure if it warrants
> >delaying a release, though.
>
> That's pretty weird, since nothing was changed with respect to unbound
> since 1.0.0 and all that stuff is stored in completely different
> variables.

Actually the problem exists in 1.0.0, too. AC_SEARCH_LIBS(res_mkquery,
resolv) seems to not be returning -lresolv on some architectures. It
could be that it's unrelated to unbound, but I don't currently have
a machine that I can test it on...

> Also, I noticed that in libopendkim/Makefile.am, we add -lunbound to
> libopendkim_la_LIBADD but not for other libraries like -lcrypto or -ldb.
> Which is correct?

Personally, even though libopendkim is libtoolized (and therefore
produces a useful libopendkim.la file with dependencies), we should link
the library against any other library whose symbols it actually uses.
The main reason is that we don't want to assume everyone uses libtool,
but the library should still clearly indicate what its dependencies are.
This also helps UNIXes (well, mostly Linuxes) with binary packages and
dependencies figure out what's required for libopendkim.so.

(It appears that -ldb is only needed when --enable-querycache is used?)

--
Mike Markley <mike_at_markley.org>
Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected.