Postfix With OpenDKIM: milter: SMFIC_EOH

From: Noah Huppert <contact_at_noahh.io>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 05:28:56 +0000

I have a Postfix send only server setup.

I am attempting to integrate OpenDKIM to mitigate the possibility of being blacklisted.

Whenever I send a message I see the following warning in the syslog:

> postfix/cleanup[19960]: warning: milter inet:localhost:12301: can't read SMFIC_EOH reply packet header: Invalid argument

Messages are still sent by Postfix, however the emails do not appear to have any DKIM related headers in them. I suspect that the warning above indicates that OpenDKIM is not communicating with Postfix correctly and as a result messages are not being signed.

I setup Postfix to use OpenDKIM in the Postfix main.cf file:

> milter_protocol = 2
> milter_default_action = accept
> smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12301
> non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12301

The output of postconf -n and postconf -Mf are in this GitHub Gist: https://gist.github.com/Noah-Huppert/0e8160dd6a12e0c62292d1c3f5a262b8

This Gist also contains what I believe to be the relevant OpenDKIM configuration.

My efforts to debug this issue have mainly been centered around figuring out what the SMFIC_EOH error code means. However I have had no luck. Any help figuring out what this error code means or how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Noah Huppert