Re: [opendkim:bugs] #222 Enhance config file element handling for unrecognized tags/parameters

From: Eray Aslan <eraya_at_a21an.org>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 06:01:30 +0000

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 12:37:27PM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> So far though, we don't have consensus either way. I've seen two people
> in favor (Andreas and SM) and two opposed (Steve and myself). What do
> others think?

I would just log a warning for unrecognized / not implemented /
deprecated config directives. "Render invalid" - which I am assuming
means stopping mail flow - for wahtever reason is too harsh imho. No
expiration date for the warning.

> I'm not convinced that printing a warning gets anyone's attention
> thes days. How often do you watch your machine boot to look for
> warnings, or look in your logs for interesting things, in a
> potentially sensitive production environment? I know this works at
> the "hobby" level, but I think it's not helpful once you start to
> function at scale.

At scale, you log to a central server and configure alerts and do
whatever analysis you deem appropriate. At scale, logs are arguably
even more important.

--
Eray