Re: Limit on keytable entries?

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:37:54 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, John Fretby wrote:
> KeyTable         file:our-keytable
>
> How efficient is that file lookup? - We couldn't get database lookups
> working for keys - but keytable seems to work fine.

A "file:" type of table is read into memory and stored as a linked list,
so the size of it is limited by what a process can store on your server.

> Obviously small numbers eg 10 entries will be fine - but if we expand this
> how efficient is it? - 100 entries? 1000?

The linked list isn't the best data structure once you get into the
thousands or millions. We might want to think about turning that into an
ordered array or a hash table if speed becomes an issue.

> Is it all loaded at startup time - or referenced off of disk at
> runtime/signtime?

It's read once at startup and then whenever SIGUSR1 is sent to cause a
configuration reload.

-MSK