Re: OpenDKIM: no MTA name match (host=myhost.mydomain.com, MTA=myhost.mydomain.com)

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 02:38:24 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, Pau Peris wrote:
> Just one question, as Postfix and OpenDKIM services are running on
> host.mydomain.com is it still correct to see that message in the
> log  OpenDKIM: no MTA name match (host=host.mydomain.com,
> MTA=host.mydomain.com)? Maybe i'm missing something here, but to me it
> looks like OpenDKIM isn't aware that he is running on
> host.mydomain.com which is also where Postfix MTA is also running.

Short answer: Yes, it's correct.

Long answer: The "Should this message be signed?" decision involves
several tests, one of which is comparing the MTA name against a list you
can provide that (presumably) contains the names of MTAs whose mail should
be signed. By default this list is empty. The log entry you're citing is
simply saying "I didn't find my name in that list."

-MSK