Re: dkim signature failing due to "display name" changes by sendmail

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:26:49 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Charles Bartels wrote:
> Any suggestions on how best to handle this?
>
> I've thought of a few possible fixes although I'm not actually sure how
> I would implement them. 1) Have the milter run after the quotes are
> added to the header by sendmail. 2) Fix Exchange to have it put in
> quotes before sending the messages to my MTA. 3) Tweak the DKIM milter
> to allow the addition of the quotes w/o breaking the signature.

Any of those will work, though (1) is probably the hardest because there's
no way to tell sendmail to make its changes only after signing, and (3) is
also a chore because you would basically have to build sendmail's rewrite
logic into opendkim somehow.

I believe the character that's causing the problem is the apostrophe,
which if I'm not mistaken cannot legally be present unquoted. If you can
send without using that in the display name, sendmail might decide not to
bother modifying it. Perhaps "The desk of Bob"?

-MSK