Re: 2.9.0 under development

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_dougbarton.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 00:30:04 -0700

On 09/30/2013 12:06 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> The only sticky issue I have right now is this thing about default
> logging. As I recall, Andreas would like to flip the logic of "-l" and
> "Syslog" so that logging is always on by default, and these would be
> used to switch it off.

As a general principle of software development you should never change
the behavior of a configuration option once it has been introduced. That
adds confusion for the users, screws up backwards compatibility, etc.
It's just plain bad.

I have no opinion on whether the default should be to have logging
enabled, but if that change is made then new options should be
introduced to disable that default (if there are not already suitable
options that say "don't log").

FWIW,

Doug