OpenDKIM configuration reload - KeyTable and SigningTable

From: Marcin <marcin_at_rootnode.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:01:01 +0200

Hello,

I have couple of questions regarding OpenDKIM.

I am wondering if reload process (SIGUSR1) is completely safe in
OpenDKIM. I would like to reload KeyTable and SigningTable files without
interrupting the service - Postfix is using UNIX socket to connect to
OpenDKIM and it will send e-mails without DKIM signature if OpenDKIM is
unavailable. It is highly undesired as volume of the sendout is really
high.

Manual says that OpenDKIM does not track configuration file changes. Is
it also true for KeyTable and SigningTable files changes? Maybe instead
of plain file I could use Berkeley DB to track changes of those files?

Last question is how internally OpenDKIM uses table files - are they
stored in the memory entirely? What is the maximum size limit of the
table files and how does it affect performance? If Berkeley DB backend
is used, does it also store it in memory entirely? (I admit I didn't
check how BDB works internally).

Thank you for your time.
Kind regards.

--