Logging by default

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:48:21 -0800 (PST)

Based on an offlist conversation:

Should opendkim's "Syslog" setting default to "true"?

It's the opposite right now and has been since the beginning. The common
practice I've had for years now is to be very vocal about errors, and
refuse to start up, if any problem impeding normal operation can be
detected. Once started, however, standard output/error are no longer
available, so you find some way to continue operating (or restarting) at
all costs, and be as minimally disruptive of the environment as possible.

Daemons on busy machines can log quite a bit, meaning useful data from
other daemons can be lost in the noise. We can't make any assumptions
about which syslog facility should be used, so the whole thing is off by
default, forcing operators to configure syslogging before it actually does
anything.

On the flipside, the filter could start mass-tempfailing your mail and you
have no idea why unless you turn on the logging or do other in-depth
debugging.

What are other opinions on this?

-MSK