Re: SMTP server mode

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah_at_zimbra.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:22:29 -0700

--On Friday, August 17, 2012 3:16 PM -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<msk_at_blackops.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> Ok, "temp fail". Which to the client means their mail is REJECTED and
>> not accepted for delivery. Same difference. Either way, it does not
>> end up queued until the milter is back in service.
>
> I'm confused. If postfix tries to talk to a dead milter, what does it do
> if not a temp-fail?

Postfix sends the client sending the email a temp-fail, which then sends an
error back up to the end user that their mail was not accepted for
delivery. If the email client itself doesn't have a queuing mechanism
(mine does thankfully), then they essentially have to throw their email
away, or keep trying to send it until the milter is back in service.

> And then if opendkim were SMTP-aware and postfix couldn't talk to it,
> wouldn't it queue and retry later?

Right... instead of sending the client a temp fail. Not that it matters
now, since I have a working alternative. :)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff